Remarks As Prepared For Delivery By Attorney General Eric Holder at HRC Gala
NEW YORK, February 8, 2014
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder addressed a Gala hosted by the Human Rights Campaign in New York on February 8, 2014, in which he announced that he and the Justice Department on Monday, February 10, will issue a new policy memorandum that will – for the first time in history – formally instruct all Justice Department employees to give lawful same-sex marriages full and equal recognition, to the greatest extent possible under the law.
Included in the memorandum will be:
• The Department will recognize that same-sex spouses of individuals involved in civil and criminal cases should have the same legal rights as all other married couples – including the right to decline to give testimony that might violate the marital privilege. Under this policy, even in states where same-sex marriages are not recognized, the federal government will not use state views as a basis to object to someone in a same-sex marriage invoking this right.
Transgender Student Facing Battery Charge Enters Restorative Justice Program
Judge Thomas M. Maddock of the Juvenile Division of Contra Costa County Superior Court entered an agreement with Jewlyes Gutierrez and her Public Defender, Kaylie Simon, granting her request to begin a restorative justice program to achieve reconciliation with her peers.
Gutierrez, a transgender student from Hercules, CA, is facing a battery charge after defending herself against ongoing harassment and bullying at her school. She will appear in court again in May to report on her progress, and is hopeful the battery charge will be dismissed.
Let the Games Begin
by Brian Patrick, CompeteNetwork.com
Let the Sochi games begin? The real Sochi games began long before the start of the Olympic Torch Relay leading to the Opening Ceremony on February 7th. Considered by many to be a fiasco, it seems it could be a portent of things to come.
En route, the Olympic flame went out more than once and in one case was relit by a security guard with his Zippo lighter. One of the carriers even set himself on fire. Sadly, international politics have eclipsed the very reason for holding the Olympic Games – using sports to promote peaceful and friendly interaction among competing countries.
“Helen Keller”, the latest dance floor anthem from indie hip hopper Cazwell, was intended to be a trendy moombahton track (the genre that fuses electro with reggaeton and a bit of house).
But when Cazwell revisited “Helen Keller” at the close of 2013 with a more hypnotic, four-on-the-floor pulse, he decided this version was the frontrunner for his long-awaited album, Hard 2 B Fresh. (watch the video here)
By Chase Strangio, ACLU
Imagine you are taken from your community and family and sent to an institutional environment where everything is separated by sex.
Once you get there the officers in charge of your every moment tell you that you are not the sex you have always known yourself to be but instead are the opposite sex and will be considered that sex for all purposes.
- Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Remembers Friends of Russian LGBT Family in Tribute Video
- Westboro Baptist Church No Show Was a Win for Love
- Kate, Julia & Meryl At The Movies
- One Month Later: How California's Transgender Student Law Is Affecting Public Schools
- Boy George Set to Release First Studio Album In 18 Years
- Gay Vet Publishes First African-American Iraq War Memoir
- California Law Protecting Youth from Dangerous Anti-Gay “Conversion” Therapies Upheld
- One Smok'n Night with Dolly Parton
Page 5 of 230«StartPrev12345678910NextEnd»